Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Charm Reviews??????

  1. #1
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Some of the charms for the AG Club have been cheaply made, IMO. There are a couple cute ones, however. If you have any of the charms, could you please give me reviews for the ones I don't have. Thanks!

    Charms We Have:
    Coconut - very cute and sturdy.
    1 year Club Anniversary - silver box, terrible, lid didn't open and it broke off.
    Courage - Green color, bad hook, fell off bracelet and got lost.
    Birthday Cake - Very nice and sturdy.

    Charms We Don't Have:
    Jess
    Samantha & Nellie
    Kit
    Marisol
    Real Beauty
    Love
    Determination
    Friendship
    Club Purple Birthday Present (free with code)

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 05:22 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member nycgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Both birthday charms are very sturdy. I haven't had any problems with the Marisol charm. I put the red charm from the free necklace set, that says "American Girl Club," on my bracelet and it works well. I had to get two replacements for my F/E charm, and I really think they retired it so they can issue a better one.


    Does the Jess charm have Jess's name on it, like the Marisol charm does?

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 05:05 PM: Message edited by: AG*dancer* ]</font>

  3. #3
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    Jess- Exactly like Marisols, 3 bits on one, the ring that it hooks to is strong, but can spread apart, loosing the 3 smaller charms if you aren't careful. It does have her name on it just like Marisol's.

    Samantha & Nellie - VERY cheaply made, just like Felicity & Elizabeth. Hook is badly designed and breaks within a week. One of the worst of the worst. Not even worth it for free.

    Kit - Very sturdy but the Kit picture is just a glorified sticker and can peel off. (hasn't happened yet, but I could see it easily happening)

    Marisol- Exactly like Jess', 3 bits on one, the ring that it hooks to can spread apart, loosing the 3 smaller charms if you aren't careful

    Real Beauty- Cute and relativly strong/well made, There's no jump rings on this one either , so it has little risk of breaking. I can't for the life of me see how it's supposed to be a rose though [img]redface.gif[/img]

    Love- Not quite as thick as the real beauty charm but strong enough. There's no jump rings on this one either , but it's thinness makes it slightly less strong.

    Determination- Adorable and well made too. The blue enamel rubs off a bit, but it's not bad at all. No jump rings here either.

    Friendship- Made EXACTLY like the stone of courage, if you have problems with it, you'll have problems with this one. Small and flimsy. The red also tends to wear off pretty quickly.

    Club Purple Birthday Present (free with code) - Talk to me in a week when it gets here, LOL

    I have all of those except the purple bday present if you need extra pictures or comparison shots.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You guys are really helpful! Do you think AG will make a better version of the Felicity/Elizabeth and Sam/Nellie?

  5. #5
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by judiaci:
    You guys are really helpful! Do you think AG will make a better version of the Felicity/Elizabeth and Sam/Nellie?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Either that or they will just retire them.

    I've went through 3 of the Felicity/Elizabeth one, and 2 of the Sam/Nellie, and I don't abuse my bracelet at all. It's just a flawed design.

    I would probably just retire them if I were AG, but I could see remaking them also.

    If they remake them, I WOULD be returning mine for the new one assuming it looks to be any stronger. I kept the packaging just on the off chance they did revise them to be less cheapy.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 05:31 PM: Message edited by: SaraLovesHerDollys ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member jerseycow6's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2006
    Posts
    261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    -I think that Jess and Marisol's are both really nice.

    -Kit's is pretty sturdy. The picture's a little grainy, but that's probably just because it's so tiny. I like this one a lot, though. I wish they would make some for the other AG characters.

    -I actually liked Samantha/Nellie and Felicity/Elizabeth, but they do seem like they'd be pretty fragile. The flat metal loop holding the little books onto the clip is really thin. The F/E one just had the pictures pasted in, no attempt to cover them with clear, hard plastic like Kit's or even plastic sheets like S/N. Edit: Oh, and though mine's never been worn, only displayed, the F/E loop does appear to be bending a bit. They could probably fix these easily by making the metal loop more like those on the Birthday Cake, Kit, and Coconut. I've also left them "ajar" because the thin hooks that keep them shut look like they'll easily wear down if opened and shut enough, but they're not unlike the hooks on any other lockets in that respect.

    -Real Beauty is pretty sturdy and a lively pink that adds color to the bracelet. I just don't think it's a very pretty rendition of a rose.

    -The Red one (Friendship?) is pretty much exactly like the Green one you had problems with. I haven't had a problem with either, but they are just kind of weird blobby things. They do add color to the bracelet, though.

    -Determination (the Blue one?) has the loop attached to the actual triangle shape, so I think it'd probably be sturdier. It's also another weird blobby thing, though.


    We got the Birthday Cake for the free with code thing... is the Purple Present a new version of this for this year? I hadn't heard anything about the Purple one.

    I didn't know about the One Year Anniversary one, either. I don't think I ever even saw it in my e-mails. When was that one offered? Does anyone have an extra I could buy? (well, in about a month?)

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 08:44 PM: Message edited by: jerseycow6 ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member tatabatata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2005
    Posts
    595
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by judiaci:

    Jess: Very cute but the hook is awful. Even before placing it on the bracelet I changed the hook for a jump ring.
    Samantha & Nellie: Flimsy, better bot open it too much or it breaks in half (happened to DD!)
    Kit: OK
    Marisol: see Jess
    Real Beauty: very cute and of same quality as Coconut
    Love: as Real Beauty
    Determination: yucky, enamel will wear off quite easily
    Friendship: ditto
    Club Purple Birthday Present (free with code): very cute, the paint seems sturdier than the earlier painted ones, more like enamel

    <font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ May 04, 2006 05:22 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I strongly reccomend replacing the hooks by jump rings in most cases. The hooks tend to catch on clothing and break easily.

    Ana

  8. #8
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by jerseycow6:
    -
    We got the Birthday Cake for the free with code thing... is the Purple Present a new version of this for this year? I hadn't heard anything about the Purple one.

    I didn't know about the One Year Anniversary one, either. I don't think I ever even saw it in my e-mails. When was that one offered? Does anyone have an extra I could buy? (well, in about a month?)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just heard of the purple present one today when the code was posted. I was expecting it to be the cake birthday charm, but then the purple present showed up on my order. That's why I posted the picture. It looks cute!

    The one year anniversary charm is a silver box with an open lid. My DD got it when she renewed her club membership after 1 year. So, if you haven't been in the club 1 year yet, you might still get it.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 10:49 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member ksami's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    447
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wasn't that impressed with the Sam/Nellie charm either. It just felt really cheapy and the pictures looked discolored. If you get one, though, make sure to order it along with something else. This will help pad it during shipment, and keep it from breaking! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for all the reviews. They are really helpful. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •